Karne con Kutsay or Beef with Leeks is a popular beef recipe from Philippines. Use of soy sauce, kutsay or leeks, and red bell pepper (pimiento) in this dish make it more delicious and provide it a unique Filipino flavor. It is, no doubt, a must-try recipe for all the beef lovers.
Following is a simple recipe to prepare 4 servings of this dish at home.
Estimated Cooking Time Required: 45-50 minutes
• Beef Tenderloin: 1 pound (1 lb.) – Cut into 1 ½ inch cubes
• Leeks/Kutsay: ¼ cup
• Pimiento (red bell pepper): 1 cup (cut into strips)
• Egg White: 1
• Cornstarch: 1 tablespoon
• Soy Sauce: 3 tablespoons
• Water: 3 tablespoons or ¼ cup
• Sesame Oil: 2 tablespoons
• Cooking Oil: 1 cup
Method of Cooking:
1) Use one egg white to coat beef tenderloin completely.
2) Cover the beef with cornstarch and keep it aside for 15 minutes.
3) Use cooking oil to deep fry the meat. Drain and keep aside.
4) To prepare marinade, add water, soy sauce, water, leeks, and pimientos to 3 tablespoons of cooking oil, heated in a pan.
5) Add meat to the marinating liquid and simmer for 15-20 minutes until the meat becomes soft.
6) Add sesame oil and serve hot.
Thus, preparing beef with leeks or Karne con Kutsay is very easy. It can be easily prepared at home and is worth trying at least once. It is undeniably a delicious treat for you and family. It can add ‘flavor’ and ‘spice’ to a usual day.